Concerned about your event's impact on the environment? We proudly participate in several initiatives to help provide sustainable meetings at The Westin Ottawa.
Learn more about our initiatives and discover tips for hosting a sustainable meeting below.
- Double-sided meeting pads, recyclable pens and mints with no wrappers for meeting delegates are provided
- All meeting supplies are set at a station, rather than individual settings
- Comprehensive recycling program in place including glass, paper, plastic aluminum, and cardboard
- All organic waste is composted off-site
- Waste pickups have been decreased to bi-weekly, instead of weekly
- “Leave Nothing Behind” Policy is communicated to conference planners and exhibitors
- Meeting Rooms equipped with whiteboards are available upon availability
- Flip charts provided are made of 75% post-consumer recycled content
- All dishes and cutlery used are re-usable
- Eliminated the use of Styrofoam and converted to containers and bags that are recyclable and compostable
- Energy efficient digital signage
- Condiments are served in bulk to reduce wasteful packaging
- Culinary department has access to local produce, sustainable seafood, fair trade and organic products
- Executive Chef has prepared a full sustainable menu including breakfast, break, lunch, reception, and dinner options - please click here to view our sustainable e-menus
- Culinary department observes responsible food planning and purchasing practices to reduce waste and spoilage
- Leftover food from banquet functions is donated to a local shelter upon request
- All proposals, contracts, and invoices are prepared and sent electronically
- Unused conference materials are donated to local community groups and charities
- Recycling receptacles in all meeting rooms
Conserving Energy and Water
- In-house water filtration system was installed which annually prevents 250,000 1.5 L plastic bottled water from reaching the landfill
- Building automation system allows our meeting rooms to be timed off when not in use
- All toilets and showerheads are low flow
- Escalators are turned off when not in use
- Participate annually in Starwood's Carbon Disclosure Project survey
- Digital Thermostats in all meeting spaces with pre-set temperatures
- Guests are provided with the option to participate in Make a Green Choice, which encourages guests to reduce water, chlorine, and detergent use by re-using linen and towels during their overnight stay in exchange for membership points or restaurant credits.
- Public Transportation is available and easily accessible for guests and meeting delegates – for travel plans using Ottawa's local public transportation
- Taxi Sharing Program available for delegates. Please inquire through your Catering/Convention Services Manager
Allante Limousine - Member of Green Ride Global
Green Ride Global implements industry leading environmental sustainability programs into ground transportation companies. All Green Ride Global member companies are operating inside of a robust Environmental Policy and Environmental Management system that is designed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 20% over the next 5 years.
Reservations can be made at the Concierge Desk in our main lobby or directly with Christy Merkley, President 613-799-5466
Evaluating your Conference’s Carbon Foot Print
Off-setting Your Event’s Carbon
The Carbon Offset Program at the Westin Ottawa allows for clients to deliver carbon neutral meetings and events through the optional purchase of Gold Standard® certified VER+ carbon offsets. The Westin Ottawa has purchased offsets for the Lobby area to minimize the impact of public space on carbon production, and are committed to promoting this option to all we do business with. Please inquire with our Sales Department.
A Meetings Impact Report is available through your Catering/Conventions Service Manager. This report will indicate the impact on the environment by conducting a sustainable meeting. Please click here to view a sample Meeting Impact Report.
Key indicators to track the current environmental benefit of activities of sustainable meetings:
- Energy and Water Consumption per delegate
- Waste Management, including reduction of waste sent to landfills through-recycling (glass, paper, plastic, metal) and composting, material selection and re-use
- Sustainable Food Choices
- Volunteer Programs Offered
- Food Donation
Tips for an Environmentally Friendly Event
- Provide shuttle service from mass transit stops or hotels to the event site
- Educate guests about hotel’s taxi-sharing program where delegates can sign up to share taxi drives to like destinations
- Choose our clutter free water station set up which eliminates the need of bottled water
- Use double-sided printing for promotional materials and handouts.
- Avoid mass distribution of handouts and allow attendees to order copies/view on-line
- Provide delegates with a USB drive instead of paper handouts
- Plan how your conference’s waste and leftover materials will be re-used, recycled or donated post-conference
- Educate your attendees and exhibitors on the hotel’s environmental priorities
- Incorporate a socially conscious meeting activity into your event such as our “Building for a Cause” program. Choose a local charitable organization to donate the finished product to. Learn more - then click on Specialty Menus/On-site Specialty Events